Al Ansar community help group started around 1994/5 in Port Elizabeth. Among the founder members were Dawood and Wasief Lagherdien, Sheikh Shaamil Panday and Abdoel Kaha Hendricks.
The purpose was to help the community at large and Muslims in particular.
Among the projects undertaken are:
- The building of a Jamaat Khana in Schauderville where Maktab classes are held, weekly talks take place and Taraweeh takes place with a Khatam of the Qur’aan for the first time in Ramadaan 1427 (2006).
- Running of Maktabs in Salt Lake and Arcadia.
- The purchase of a plot in Gelvandale with a plan to construct a community project including an Arabic Girls’ Madresa, offices for Muslim community projects like ICON and shops to fund the various community endeavours.
- Helping with the running of the local Ramadaan radio station IFM for one Ramadaan.
Flood relief and disaster relief in local catastrophes like floods, etc.
- Hosting of prominent personalities and organisations from out of town like the National Muslim Prison Board, Dr Quick, IPCI and an ex-priest from USA.
To assist in local Port Elizabeth projects, contact:
+27 (0)82 493 2204