The Coal Basket

An old man lived on a farm with his young grandson. Each morning grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Qur’aan. His grandson tried to imitate him. One day the grandson said: ‘I try to read the Qur’aan like you, Granpa, but I don’t understand it. And whatever I understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Qur’aan do?’
Grandpa replied: ‘Take this coal basket to the river and bring me back a basket of water.’ The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. Grandpa laughed and said that he’d have to be faster next time, and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster but then basket was empty by the time he got back. He told his gradfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket and said that he’d take a bucket rather. The old man said: ‘I don’t want a bucket of water, I want a basket. You’re not trying hard enough.’
The boy knew it was impossible but to prove it he ran again. Back he came with an empty basket. ‘See Granpa, it’s impossible,’ he said. ‘You think it’s useless?’ asked Grandpa, ‘Look at the basket.’ The boy looked at the basket and realized it was different: It had been transformed from a dirty coal basket and was now clean inside and out.
This is what happens when we read the Qur’aan: we might not understand or remember everything, but when we read it, we will be changed and cleansed inside and out.


Al Jamiat Vol.6 No.7