The Pearl and the Flower


One day, a beautiful and fragrant flower with attractive colors met a pearl that lives far in the bottom of the sea. Both got acquainted with each other. The flower said: ‘Our family is large; roses and daisies are members of the family. And there are many other species that are various and countless, each has a distinctive scent and appearance.’

Suddenly, a tinge of distress appeared on the flower. ‘Nothing accounts for sorrow in your talk; so why are depressed?’ asked the pearl. ‘Human beings deal with us carelessly; they slight us. They don’t grow us for our sake but to get pleasure from our fragrance and beautiful appearance. They throw us on the street or in the garbage can after we lose our most valuable properties: brilliance and fragrance,’ sighed the flower.

And then the flower said to the pearl: ‘How do you live? How do you feel buried at the bottom of the sea?’ The pearl answered: ‘Although I have none of your distinctive colors and sweet scents, humans hold me precious. They do the impossible to procure me. They go on long journeys, dive deep in the seas searching for me. The longer I lay, the more beautiful and brilliant I become. That’s what raises my value in their eyes. I live in a thick shell isolated in the dark seas but I’m happy to be in a safe zone far from harmful hands; and still humans consider me highly valuable.’

Do you know what the flower and pearl symbolize? The flower is the unveiled woman (who shows her charms) and the pearl is the veiled woman (who conceals her beauties) Think about it!