The Old Sock

A wise rich man, sensing his approaching death, called his son and gave him these instructions: ‘My son, I shall be leaving you shortly. On the day I die, and they have washed my body and come to wrap it in the shroud, put one of my socks on my foot. This is my final request.’
Soon after, the old man died leaving behind his property and children. Family and friends attended his funeral. The body had been washed and was almost wrapped in the shroud, when the son remembered his father's wish. Finding one of his old socks, he handed it to the washer of the dead, saying, ‘In accordance with my father's last request, please put this sock on his foot.’ ‘That is impossible,’ said the man. ‘Such a thing is impermissible in Islam. I cannot act against the Law.’ The son insisted, ‘That was my father's final request; it must be carried out.’
The washer of the dead was unmoved. ‘If you won't take my word for it go and ask the Mufti. He will confirm what I tell you.’ Holding up the funeral, they consulted the Mufti and scholars, all of whom declared this was not permissible. Just then, an aged friend of the deceased interrupted with these words to the son: ‘My boy, your late father entrusted me with a letter which I was to hand over to you after his death. Here, this letter belongs to you.’ The boy opened the envelope and read out the contents of his father's letter.
‘My son, all this wealth I have left to you. Now you see: at the last moment, they won't even let you give me an old sock to wear. When you yourself are one day in my condition they will also refuse to let you keep anything but your shroud. This is all you will be able to carry from this fleeting world into the Hereafter. So be prepared. Spend the fortune I left you, not for the satisfaction of vain desires, but in ways pleasing to Allah, that you may achieve honour in both worlds.’